It is no secret that it is important to keep both a healthy mind and body. One of the best ways to stay healthy is to eat healthy but it can be hard to do that when you’re running low on funds.
Here are a few tips to make it to payday without sacrificing good eating habits;
- Buy fresh produce when it is in season and freeze it! This is a great way to keep food fresh for the long term. (Works for meat too!)
- Plan out your meals for the week. First use groceries you already have in your fridge or pantry and then use coupons to buy the rest.
- Try buying cheaper cuts of meat. While they can require a little more time to prepare, they are overall more nutritious and flavorful.
- Expand your food vocabulary. Look for foods that you may have never tried before especially different kinds of whole grains and beans that can really bulk up a meal and also tend to be cheaper.
- Learn to love rice! Rice is cheap and with just a hint a flavor and slices of meat can be turned into a filling meal.
- Pack your snacks instead of going to the vending machines when you’re hungry. Celery and peanut butter, almonds, unsalted nut mixes, and lightly salted popcorn are all cheap and healthy alternatives that are easy to bring to any work environment.
- Skip the drive through! Although there are some healthier alternatives at a drive through, the options there are really empty calories and will leave you still hungry.
- Go to the ATM before going out to eat. This encourages you to choose a meal that is both finance and figure friendly because you’ll be handing over cash and you will want it to be worth it.